Monday, December 20, 2010

Thought Provoking U2 Concert

We saw a fantastic live performance last night, the U2 360 Tour. For only $40 it was the best value for money Sunday afternoon I've probably ever experienced. The sound quality and visual effects were stunning, the stage resembled an alien craft and a moving set of interlocking circular LCD screens further heightened the likeness. Watching the visual onslaught, feeling the bass and Bono's voice vibrate in every cell I wondered what the next step in live concerts could possibly be. However my thoughts were quickly diverted from such materialistic ideas when the band spoke about their collusion with Amnesty International and the recent release of Aung San Suu Kyi, the leader of the Burmese Democracy Movement who has been under house arrest since her party won 59% of votes in the 1990 general election. She was told by the military jung in power that if she left the country she would be freed, she never left. It warmed me considerably to see that U2 have used their star power and influence to help this woman and her country and left me feeling pretty guilty for my own self-serving existence.

world community Pictures, Images and PhotosDon't get me wrong I have good intentions and a world of sympathy for the down trodden, the starving, the sick, the orphaned and the persecuted. But I've never done anything for these people. Sure I've given some cash to those annoying people that stand in the middle of the shopping centre and sometimes thought guiltily that I ought to give up some of my time to be one, but principles, and work commitments prevent me from asking for money off complete strangers. I feel if people want to donate they will, in their own time and capacity and they will feel a greater sense of contribution than when an over eager fit and frenzied youth shakes a tin in their face. So what is there to do? I want to help, I really do but when I think about the world's many intricate problems, solutions aren't so simple, who would know where to begin? In these times of global financial crisis's how are governments supposed to help when they struggle just to help themselves. And at the end of the day whose responsibility is it anyway? There is a certain logical thought process that tells me these are issues far too big for my sphere of influence but simultaneously I feel a moral calling. Is it evolution and survival of the species which tells our primitive brain to aid our bretheren? Or a maternal instinct when I see a hungry child, alone and sad, and want to nurture and protect them? Interestingly whilst reading the Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice I get the sense that they likewise explore this idea of moral responsibility.
Whatever the route cause may be I thank U2 for a wonderful concert and for shaking me out of a self-centered, financially focused mind-set, at least for a night. Next year is a world of opportunity and whilst attempting to put money away for the car and mortgage I promise to try harder at becoming an active member of the global community.
Maybe reading this book will help by giving me some direction? The Global Community by Jens Bartelson.

No comments:

Post a Comment